Search This Blog

Monday 10 May 2010

ASOS: A sneak peak at life as a Fashion Buyer

It all started in back in November 2009, with a 4-week stint at ASOS Head Office in Mornington Crescent. So here's a recap:

Using ASOSlife (the online ASOS community) I asked the staff at ASOS towers if anyone could give me some tips on how to start a career in Fashion. I have been a fan of ASOS for a number of years and the prospect of getting some experience with them was too good to miss - I couldn't wait to hear from them. Amazingly, despite her busy schedule, the Head Buyer for Branded Women's Wear replied almost straight away with some great advice, and especially told me to get some Head Office industry experience. Luckily for me, some short weeks later there was a vacancy on the site for immediate work experience, and I jumped at the chance.

On my first day, I felt a lot like a wide-eyed little girl in a very stylish toy shop. I got to have a good look around the maze of ASOS towers, and as an added bonus I got a sneaky peak of the male models doing a shoot! The office is a hive of activity, there is always something to do, and when I got to see my desk for the first time, I was chuffed to find it surrounded by rails and boxes of new season goodies for me to work with. It wasn't long before I had settled in to my role helping the girls on the Branded Womenswear Buying department, which I really enjoyed. Everyone at ASOS was very friendly and dressed beautifully, although interestingly, everyone seemed to have their own individual style. It definitely had a knock on effect and made me think more about what I was wearing myself, and I vowed to try to be more individual with my style from then on.

I was working at ASOS for a total of 4 weeks. There were always new samples coming in to swoon over, and it was great to be a part of the whole process; waiting for the new items to come in, shooting them on the models, and then seeing them go up onsite. But, as a surprise to me, the part that I loved the most was helping the Marketing team, dealing with Brand Communications and writing a few blog entries as an 'ASOS Intern' for the site.

With my experience at ASOS in mind, I decided to start a blog of my own. Hopefully it will provide an interesting account of my experience of trying to establish my goals, and it will also be somewhere that I can share my experiences of trying to get that 'dream job'.

If anyone would like to ask any questions about my experiences, or has any feedback at all, feel free to post a comment and I will try to include anything you want in my next post!

x

2 comments:

  1. Hey!

    I just stumbled into your blog and love it, especially since I am trying to get into fashion too :) I was just wondering how you applied for your internship at ASOS? I'm guessing through the site cos I've seen some advertised on there before but I never know how to respond to the questions they ask! Would it be rude to ask you what sort of answers you think they want to hear? Thanks! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi
    came to your blog via 'the wolf farm club' site. just wondering what type of education background do you have or would be helpful for people interested in fashion.

    ReplyDelete